Energy, Environment & Utilities
Is This Pathway right for you?
With the increase in public investments in renewable energy, clean energy generation, energy efficiency and the Smart Grid, career opportunities in the Energy, Environment, and Utilities industry will continue to grow. In fact, jobs in energy and the environment could triple over the next decade. Energy employers need skilled workers for traditional energy jobs as well as future energy-related positions.
Explore this pathway:
Is a career in Energy, Environment & Utilities right for you?
• The Energy Efficiency & Utilities (EE&U) sector employs technicians in electrical, mechanical, and construction jobs as well as architects, engineers, business managers, sales/marketing professionals, and public policy specialists.
• Job opportunities are growing across the entire energy spectrum – electricity and gas – from generating plant to the wall socket or pilot light – with more than 40% of the existing workforce eligible for retirement over the next five years.Do you like to perform, paint, write and/or sculpt?
• This sector is generating 15,000 jobs per year in California alone.
• Especially strong demand is projected for Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) technicians, Electricians, Plumbers and Pipefitters, Utility Workers, Engineers, and a wide range of Business Professionals.
• Skills and knowledge gained in EE&U career pathways are easily transferable to other industry sectors, providing long-term financial security
3 Main Points
1. You can make a difference. EE&U career fields offer students the opportunity to help reduce carbon emissions and address global climate change.
2. The challenge is huge. California law requires that fifty percent of the state’s buildings (billions of square feet) consume ZERO ENERGY by the year 2030, a challenge that can be met only by a highly-skilled workforce.
3. Lots of high-wage jobs and career progression opportunities. Growth and change in this sector is expected to drive employment of more than 15,000 new workers statewide ANNUALLY, most of which will be in high-wage jobs, starting at $40,000 and progressing to over $100,000.
• Critical Thinking
• Strong Work Ethic
• Focus on Excellence
• Ability to Communicate with Impact
• Drive for Results
Meet the People of Edison International
Take a look at the selection of employee profile videos from Edison International. There are many different types of jobs available within this company and this pathway.
Skills for the next generation of energy. Learn how to prepare for an exciting career in energy. Also look for training programs near you.NEXT UP: Good To Know TAKE ACTION
Essential Principles and Fundamental Concepts for Energy EducationPREVIEW NOW
Get Into Energy
With the right education and training, you can begin a rewarding, well-paying energy career that benefits millions of people every day. Explore the many career opportunities in energy today.More Info
Energy.gov - Education
A large part of advanced energy technology deployment depends on the U.S.'s ability to innovate, produce, install, maintain, and service advanced energy technologies. The Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy's (EERE) education and workforce development activities support the market deployment of EERE technologies by focusing on further development and enhancement of these critical workforce skills as well as engaging and inspiring the future workforce.More Info